I practice talking sometimes.

It's a little funny that way: I've worked over the air before, but I have such little confidence in my voice. I stutter. My lips or teeth or jaw have always felt awkward, and I'd even seen a speech therapist when I was young. The braces didn't help, and the full implications of "JAW SURGERY" hit me all at once about a month before it was supposed to happen. I'm also first-generation Canadian, and my parents have never been great with English. I don't know if that's why I took to music and drawing and literature and Math so eagerly.

I've always had a thing for expression, for communication. Anyone who knows me will also know I have a crush on Math for that very reason--among others.

I love that, in Math, any aspect of life or any thought can be modeled using these strange symbols and even stranger rules, both of which can be taught to anyone; ideas can be communicated, proven, or disproven, and even improved upon by any number of people also seeking to find the most perfect expressions.

It's a whole community devoted to perfect universal truths.

... Hehe!

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Quick update

Army

My "boss" called my house the other day, and it was the scariest thing ever. I'm so scared of getting calls from the Military--for every/any -thing, like, "HEY, WHY AREN'T YOU AWAKE?" or "WTF ARE YOU WEARING?!" or silly things like that.

She called for me to work on Wed and Fri, but I had plans Wed... I actually have a doctor's appointment on Friday, but it'd look bad if I didn't work; and I'm learning that being in the Army, image is very important. Sigh. At least, I'm fairly good at bluffing.


Teaching

I'll be in charge of the kids on Saturday! Hoorays! Unfortunately, they just wrote an exam, and it does NOT look encouraging... I wanted to jump into awesome stuff, but looks like I'll have to go over the exams... Sigh.


Plan for Saturday, maybe?

1. Hand back exams
2. Tell: If you have a question about how I've marked your paper, please wait until I've finished going over the solutions.
3. Tell: If you have any questions about what I'm doing, or why, or anything like that, put your hand up; or if I don't see you, just ask me to pause.
4. Go over solutions.
5. Answer questions about papers.

6. Recess should be about now...

7. Tell: I have some handouts that might be useful for studying! If you don't want them, leave them at the front before you're dismissed. I'm also going to show you how to tell what type of Conic Section you have, which I didn't print out.
8. Distribute Handouts: "Why Conic Sections are so cool!", "How to convert to Standard Form", "How to Sketch Conic Sections".
9. Draw: "How to tell what kind of Conic Section you have" flow-chart.
10. Questions?

11. Tell: I'm going to give you some study tips that I've picked up through high school and university.

12. Condensed notes / "Formula sheets" / Study sheets

have the Trig IDs on it
have the Standard Forms on it.
Tell: Every new topic or every month, try to condense as much information as you can onto one sheet of paper. I used to make condensed notes for every unit in Physics, and they saved my arse! Make sure you label everything so that you can tell just by looking what and where everything is. If you're doing one sheet per unit, put a title on that sheet! Use this sheet when you get your review exercise at the end of a unit; use it for assignments. Always improve your condensed notes while you're learning the material--that way, you'll know exactly where to look when you're studying for the final exam.

13. Start: ________ (new topic: graphing polynomials, or logs)

14. Optional: Hand out treats!
15. Dismissal!




Leaving for work now...
--Charissa

No comments: