I practice talking sometimes.

It's a little funny that way: I've worked over the air before, but I have such little confidence in my voice. I stutter. My lips or teeth or jaw have always felt awkward, and I'd even seen a speech therapist when I was young. The braces didn't help, and the full implications of "JAW SURGERY" hit me all at once about a month before it was supposed to happen. I'm also first-generation Canadian, and my parents have never been great with English. I don't know if that's why I took to music and drawing and literature and Math so eagerly.

I've always had a thing for expression, for communication. Anyone who knows me will also know I have a crush on Math for that very reason--among others.

I love that, in Math, any aspect of life or any thought can be modeled using these strange symbols and even stranger rules, both of which can be taught to anyone; ideas can be communicated, proven, or disproven, and even improved upon by any number of people also seeking to find the most perfect expressions.

It's a whole community devoted to perfect universal truths.

... Hehe!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Maaaath

Relationships

Based on private entry, 13 Jan, 2008 at 13:08 on bus

Been thinking.

Had lunch with James. Was strange. He talks more, though. But, either Istill make him nervous, or he's still that way--at least, around me.

Yet, I find, ... physically ... I think we fit together.

We still have a weak relationship. He talks about things I don't understand; and I talk about things he can't comment on. When I ask him to explain, he usually can't, or, not very well.

Maybe our roles are too loose. If it were a planned or structured get-together / event, maybe it would flow better.

I think that's the biggest issue: we have nothing to talk about. I ask about him, and he doesn't say much. I ask a little more, and then he talks more; but of course he'll start talking about programming, and I won't understand much of it. I ask him to explain, and he becomes hesitant and stumbles over the explanation (or maybe I'm just difficult to explain to?). When I talk about myself, he won't be interested, or won't comment. I guess, the other thing: I jump from topic to topic, and he likes to stay on one topic at a time.

It's so strange to have that physical connection, yet no other connection. I can read his body very easily; but not his mind or heart. And it may be that his body has very contrary "thoughts" from his mind/heart. Afterall, he has much self discipline.



Math

At work, I got bored. So, I figured out that, for each area code, there are 4,251,528 possible phone numbers (8*9*9 *9*9*9*9). Assuming there are 60 people working on that area code at any given time, and each worker can make 90 calls per hour; it will take roughly 13 hours to dial an area code.

Of course, I was at work at the time, so my numbers were totally wrong. It's very hard to find 97 when you can work on it only 20 seconds at a time, with 70 seconds in between, which are spent doing something completely different.

(Just for comparison, I got: 5,373,459 possible numbers, and 1.15 hours, assuming 60 workers and 80 calls/hour. I was 21% off on the phone numbers, and a whole order of magnitude off on the hours--but I think that was just stupid messy-writing error.)

My next task will be to find out how many possible phone numbers in the US and Canada. I've made a list of all area codes that don't exist. It'll be a matter of finding:
(729 - [number of area codes that don't exist]) * 5,373,459
Woo!


Teaching

I mentioned, last post, that we've started transformations. I think, most of the kids don't get it.

Well, I want to make a bonus question on their next assignment:
1. Determine algebraically whether y = f(x) = sinX is even, odd or neither.

2. Determine algebraically whether y = f(x) = cosX is even, odd or neither.
I'll even do this right now, off the top of my head!
1. f(x) = sinX
Step 1: Find f(-x).
f(-x) = sin(-x)

= sin(0 - x)
Trig ID: sine sum-angle identity.
= sin0 * cosX - cos0 * sinX

= 0 * cosX - 1 * sinX
Simplify.
= - sinX
Which is also....
= - f(x)
Therefore, this function is odd.
Hoorays!

2. f(x) = cosX
Step 1: Find f(-x).
f(-x) = cos(-x)

= cos(0 - x)
Trig ID: cosine sum-angle identity.
= cos0 * cosX + sin0 * sinX

= 1 * cosX + 0 * sinX
Simplify.
= cosX
Which is also....
= f(x)
Therefore, this function is even.
Hoorays!
If we do this in class, then we've just taught them another trig identity, which is always good.

I really want to show the kids the process of how to solve those "Even, odd or neither" problems. Augh. It's so frustrating, the way the teacher teaches... Sigh.


Okay, sleepy time.
--Charissa

No comments: