I practice talking sometimes.

It's a little funny that way: I've worked over the air before, but I have such little confidence in my voice. I stutter. My lips or teeth or jaw have always felt awkward, and I'd even seen a speech therapist when I was young. The braces didn't help, and the full implications of "JAW SURGERY" hit me all at once about a month before it was supposed to happen. I'm also first-generation Canadian, and my parents have never been great with English. I don't know if that's why I took to music and drawing and literature and Math so eagerly.

I've always had a thing for expression, for communication. Anyone who knows me will also know I have a crush on Math for that very reason--among others.

I love that, in Math, any aspect of life or any thought can be modeled using these strange symbols and even stranger rules, both of which can be taught to anyone; ideas can be communicated, proven, or disproven, and even improved upon by any number of people also seeking to find the most perfect expressions.

It's a whole community devoted to perfect universal truths.

... Hehe!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Origami Platonic Solids

The Platonic Solids

Tetrahedron Hexahedron or Square Octahedron Dodecahedron Icosahedron
Also known as the "regular convex polyhedra", these five are the only forms that are convex (ie: not hollow and no "dents" in them) and with every face having the same shape ("regular"). Hoorays!

In order of complexity, these are:
Tetrahedron4equilateral triangles
Hexahedron / Cube6squares
Octahedron8equilateral triangles
Dodecahedron12regular pentagons
Icosahedron20equilateral triangles

Those who play games like Dungeons & Dragons are probably already familiar with these.

Johannes Kepler liked to study these!
Johannes Kepler (1571-1630), best known for his three laws of planetary motion, was one of the most outstanding mathematicians of his day. In addition to his astronomical accomplishments, he systematized and extended all that was known about polyhedra in his time. While previous artist/geometers discovered particular polyhedra, he took a more mathematical approach: he defined classes of polyhedra, discovered the members of the class, and proved that his set was complete.

- from http://www.georgehart.com/virtual-polyhedra/kepler.html

Kepler also believed these polyhedra were associated with the elements:

TetrahedronFireIt has the "shape" of fire; and there's also the fire tetrahedron teaching tool, which is neat!
Hexahedron / CubeEarthIt's very stable.
OctahedronAirIf you hold this model lightly by the two farthest corners, and then blow, it will spin like a top!
Dodecahedronthe CosmosIt has twelve faces, and there are the twelve constellations (in astrology, zodiac).
IcosahedronWaterIt has a similar property of that octahedron, like it moves easily or wants to move, the way fluids do.

Origami

So I finally got around to making origami models of each! These are modular skeletons:
Tetrahedron6 unitsFrancis Ow's 120-degree module
Hexahedron / Cube12Bennett Arnstein's Variation of Lewis Simon's Decoration Box modules
Octahedron6Lewis Simon's Gyroscope module
Dodecahedron30Lewis Simon's / Bob Neale's 108-degree module
Icosahedron60Francis Ow's 120-degree module


...more later?
--Charlie

No comments: