I practice talking sometimes.

It's a little funny that way: I've worked over the air before, but I have such little confidence in my voice. I stutter. My lips or teeth or jaw have always felt awkward, and I'd even seen a speech therapist when I was young. The braces didn't help, and the full implications of "JAW SURGERY" hit me all at once about a month before it was supposed to happen. I'm also first-generation Canadian, and my parents have never been great with English. I don't know if that's why I took to music and drawing and literature and Math so eagerly.

I've always had a thing for expression, for communication. Anyone who knows me will also know I have a crush on Math for that very reason--among others.

I love that, in Math, any aspect of life or any thought can be modeled using these strange symbols and even stranger rules, both of which can be taught to anyone; ideas can be communicated, proven, or disproven, and even improved upon by any number of people also seeking to find the most perfect expressions.

It's a whole community devoted to perfect universal truths.

... Hehe!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

BMQ/SQ Completed

I'm now a qualified Soldier in the Canadian Forces. Details later when I have time, just highlights for now.

Highlights from BMQ

  • garrison life is amazing; laundry is fun
  • 2 Section mates, wonderful sectionmates
  • CS gas. Wow.
  • got 25/25 on PWT1 (C7 live range, 100m, daylight)
  • Pte S--- is such a trooper. Poor guy.
  • spent $9.00 at BMQ grad, including entrance fee; still got drunk (somewhat)


Highlights from SQ
  • fooling around two nights while on course--THAT did WONDERS for my self confidence
  • fire team Foxtrot... Oh dear
  • living in field for ten days
  • firing C9 light machine gun
  • firing C6 general purpose machine gun
  • throwing two C13 frag grenades... BOOM!
  • learning how to search POWs
  • discovering that pressure points don't really work on me!
  • discovering I can dig trenches fairly well!
  • night recce, we did a Snatch, amazing times!
  • ambushing a convoy
  • NOT getting an ND!
  • hearing the Warrant sing
  • (being allowed to) drink on duty--I NEVER want to do that again!
  • grad parade went well!


...more later
--Charlie

No comments: