I practice talking sometimes.

It's a little funny that way: I've worked over the air before, but I have such little confidence in my voice. I stutter. My lips or teeth or jaw have always felt awkward, and I'd even seen a speech therapist when I was young. The braces didn't help, and the full implications of "JAW SURGERY" hit me all at once about a month before it was supposed to happen. I'm also first-generation Canadian, and my parents have never been great with English. I don't know if that's why I took to music and drawing and literature and Math so eagerly.

I've always had a thing for expression, for communication. Anyone who knows me will also know I have a crush on Math for that very reason--among others.

I love that, in Math, any aspect of life or any thought can be modeled using these strange symbols and even stranger rules, both of which can be taught to anyone; ideas can be communicated, proven, or disproven, and even improved upon by any number of people also seeking to find the most perfect expressions.

It's a whole community devoted to perfect universal truths.

... Hehe!

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Updates

Teaching: Chalkboard writing

I'm teaching S4 Pre-Calc content this year, hoorays!

However, there are a few problems I've discovered:

  • as usual, my students are very silent;
  • the desks are very segregating;
  • I'm short;
  • I'm unexpected (I look strange, I act strangely; it puts the kids who don't know me on edge and distracts them perhaps);
  • I have messy chalkboard writing (I think I'd write better on an overhead)...

Things I want to do:
  • Increase class participation (more group assignments or activities; more in-class assignments);
  • Get them moving at least once every class (after recess time, most of the kids have little energy for Math);



More Updates

I'm in university again, going for Math (we'll see exactly where, later)...

I'm also in a literature course, and I'm supposed to be focusing on this essay, but, seriously, it's hard to write about something I think is pointless or... "dumb". Yes, yes, there's got to be a better way to describe that--I'm working on it, I'm working on it!

My dad was in the hospital for his leg thing. He was there about two weeks, then got sick of the hospital and came back home. The thing's still leaking, but at least he got his surgery date bumped up! It's....very.....distracting, I think. I don't know the word...

I might be doing modeling! More to come later!

Still in the reserves, still with my unit...

Teaching Math this year; got a good TA, too! Awesome!

University isn't offering the Hons Calc course anymore, and won't be next year, either. So I guess it's regular Calc for poor me. Boo.

Been in the military just over a year now! I'm entitled to new kit starting 23 Oct. I can order my DEUs now (they *might* be ready for Remembrance Day).

Rolled ankle still bothering me. Wrist feels the same, too; it's so aggravating!


...probably more. For now I should get back to that essay...
--Charlie

No comments: