I practice talking sometimes.

It's a little funny that way: I've worked over the air before, but I have such little confidence in my voice. I stutter. My lips or teeth or jaw have always felt awkward, and I'd even seen a speech therapist when I was young. The braces didn't help, and the full implications of "JAW SURGERY" hit me all at once about a month before it was supposed to happen. I'm also first-generation Canadian, and my parents have never been great with English. I don't know if that's why I took to music and drawing and literature and Math so eagerly.

I've always had a thing for expression, for communication. Anyone who knows me will also know I have a crush on Math for that very reason--among others.

I love that, in Math, any aspect of life or any thought can be modeled using these strange symbols and even stranger rules, both of which can be taught to anyone; ideas can be communicated, proven, or disproven, and even improved upon by any number of people also seeking to find the most perfect expressions.

It's a whole community devoted to perfect universal truths.

... Hehe!

Friday, January 9, 2009

More me

Had an MSN conversation with GV tonight...

GV:
so how would you evaluate me?
what kind of person am I if it is possible to categorise me?

CW:
Well, you're very flirty for one
And I mean that in a general sense
You speak often vaguely, but intentionally.
You'll bring up a topic, but won't necessarily go into detail unless prompted, or unless you have a specific point to make--at least, from what I've seen, which isn't all that much"Intentionally" means... with a purpose. I don't think you say useless things, and I haven't noticed you using fillers (eg: like, um, things, stuff...) often
:P And you joke a lot
You also seem to have a broader context? I'm not sure how to explain that one
When people observe stuff, they fit it into a context so that it makes more sense to them
You either notice things that a lot of people wouldn't, or you fit it into a different/broader context
I'd guess you're passionate and sometimes freak people out
...
Am I far off the mark?
GV:
i think that your opinion is valid although not entirely truthful
in the sense that your opinion is just that, your opinion
it is how you perceive me, and everyone's perception of personality is different
CW:
How would *you* evaluate yourself?
GV:
id rather not personally attempt to go into detail about myself
CW:
? Why not?
GV:
too personal
CW:
Too personal for me or for you?
Actually nevermind
GV:
too personal in general for me to go into detail with you
CW:
Allright, withdrawn
But you've got me curious
GV:
ill take that as a good thing


A little later...

CW:
Actually, before I pack it inYou asked my "evaluation" of you, so it seems only fair I ask *your* evaluation of me
GV:
more emotional, spiritual and intellectual than physical
you seem to like to get "lost" in your own thoughts
you dont seem to have made a habit of accepting people who are unorthodox
by accepting them i mean accepting to yourself the fact that they are the way they are, rather than conventional


This interests me, the last part.

Of course, I've never really been great at taking either compliments or criticism (although I love being flattered by attention, so I love hearing what others think of me--especially when I agree), but I didn't think that I appeared as unaccepting (or not-readily-accepting).

What I think he saw was my interest in people's characteristics. I just like to notice things people do (and maybe I'm too obvious about it).

Ah dammit, I'm going to be the grandmother in A Good Man is Hard to Find, who blurts out "You're the Misfit! I recognized you at once!" and gets everybody killed.


So... what is Charlie like? Who do I think I am?

I'm curious, always curious--about how things work, how people work; why things are as they are.

I'm nervous and uncertain. I don't know much about LIFE, just THINGS, and it doesn't seem to help me.

I'm really friggin' horny and don't have much control over it when I've no deadlines.

I'm very self-absorbed. Maybe selfish.

However, I also like taking care of others, and seem to make everything work better when I'm looking after someone other than myself.

I'm awkward socially. Duh.

But I'm bold sometimes.
I think this is because I'm usually no-nonsense when I know what I want--no more fooling around! But in many social situations, I don't know what I want! It's social! What needs to be done in that kind of setting?!

I'm, physically, built as a cyclist. I've got strong legs, good for lifting. I'm kind of stocky. I used to be a fatty, but I've gotten leaner (it's starting to revert, though, oh noes).

I used to be a pianist--a rather good one, too. I stopped when I was 16 or 17, though. I'm a poor sight-reader, but I memorize quickly, which enables me to understand the piece quicker and use it as a form of expression. I also had great muscle memory for piano.

Now? My technique is going downhill (but I've started practising more lately) but I can still remember 75-85% of the old songs and my hands know where to go, roughly. I've been told I'm expressive still.

I want to change.
I've wanted to change for a long time; and in different ways, not just "I want to smarter" all the time, but, for example "I want to have more physical aptitude" and later, "I want to become proficient at matrices"...
Do I always meet my goals? No. Sometimes yes. Sometimes I give up or forget about them. Other times, I keep fighting for it (like "I want to get better at socializing").

I like being outdoors, but don't know very much about being outdoors.
I love that feeling when I'm biking and seemingly "have" all this space to myself. That's a poor description. The space is being shared with me by everything else in it--Nature, I guess. Like, "Here, enjoy this with us!"



oy sleepytime
Charlie

No comments: