I practice talking sometimes.

It's a little funny that way: I've worked over the air before, but I have such little confidence in my voice. I stutter. My lips or teeth or jaw have always felt awkward, and I'd even seen a speech therapist when I was young. The braces didn't help, and the full implications of "JAW SURGERY" hit me all at once about a month before it was supposed to happen. I'm also first-generation Canadian, and my parents have never been great with English. I don't know if that's why I took to music and drawing and literature and Math so eagerly.

I've always had a thing for expression, for communication. Anyone who knows me will also know I have a crush on Math for that very reason--among others.

I love that, in Math, any aspect of life or any thought can be modeled using these strange symbols and even stranger rules, both of which can be taught to anyone; ideas can be communicated, proven, or disproven, and even improved upon by any number of people also seeking to find the most perfect expressions.

It's a whole community devoted to perfect universal truths.

... Hehe!

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Conics and my state of mind

Every two months or so, I go kinda crazy--just a little, though. For about five days, I am restless, pouty, petty, dramatic, anxious, confused--all sorts of nasty things. An additional side-effect is that I can believe anything. I won't know waking reality from dreams; I won't know waking reality from things I read; I won't know waking reality from what I want to believe. Added to this, I have a mild fever that's been off and on for about a week.

For anyone who has an idea the state my mind's normally in, you may have an extra appreciation of the mess this stirs up.


Teaching

We've just "finished" teaching Conic Sections to the kids. I'm not sure what he taught, I was marking their papers so they'd know how they're doing before the exam comes.

In S4 Pre-Calculus, we made a flow chart for identifying types of conic sections. I want the students to have it, but I'm not sure what the teacher has in mind.

That being said...


Because Saturday, December 01 is my fitness test with the Army, I might miss part of Math school that day. That's a review class, and I'd be sorry to miss it. One student is even writing the exam that day because he won't be there next week.

Upcoming Saturdays:
December 01
09:00 - Army fitness test at base. Eep.
14:00 - Review class before exam. One student writing exam early.
December 08
14:00 - Exam on Trig and Conic Sections.
December 15
14:00 - Teacher is away and has not given me any specifics on what to do that day, so I have full control of what we do that day! I want to actually enrich* the students' understanding of Mathematics--because we're supposed to be an "enrichment program".
17:30 - Math School Christmas Dinner. Woots.



* Here is what I want to talk about on December 15...

Conic Sections

History

Way, way back, circa 200 BC, there was a Greek named Apollonius, and he wrote a book called On Conics. This earned him the title, "The Great Geometer". The study of conics has been around for a long time! (Will add more later.)

What are they?

Imagine two hollow cones placed together at their points, sort-of like an hour-glass. By cutting different 2D sections of this, you get "Conic Sections".

Taking a slice of a cone, parallel to an edge gives a parabola.
Taking a slice of a cone at an angle such that you slice through both halves, gives a hyperbola.
Taking a horizontal slice gives either a circle or a single point (if you cut at the joining point).
Tilting that circular slice gives an ellipse.

Definitions

A circle is the set of all points** equidistant from a single point. To draw one, wrap a loop of string around a pin and a pencil and draw as far from the pin as possible without tilting the pencil.


An ellipse is the set of all points** whose distance from both foci is constant (ie: the distance from one point to the first focus plus the distance from the same point to the other focus always adds up to the same number). To draw one, wrap a loop of string around two pins and a pencil and draw as far from the pins as possible.

A parabola is defined as the set of all points** equidistant from a line and a point F (the focus) not on the line (see the right-hand side of this image).

A hyperbola is the set of all points whose distance from one focus, minus the distance to the other focus, is constant.

**(in a plane).


Gravity

The path of a projectile thrown (ie: with another, smaller force in a perpendicular direction) near the surface of the Earth is a parabola.

The path the Earth travels around the Sun is an ellipse.

The path of an object (such as a rocket or comet) on an escape trajectory from a fixed mass (such as the Sun) is a hyperbola.


Reflection

The parabola, ellipse and hyperbola each have "focus points" or "foci". If you've ever seen a satellite dish, you have an idea what this means.

For parabolas, an incoming ray that is parallel to the axis of symmetry is reflected toward the focus.

For ellipses, any ray originating at one focus will reflect toward the other focus (this is still true for the special case of the circle, where the "other" focus is the same focus).

Hyperbolas are a bit more complicated. A ray originating from one focus will be reflected and look as though it originated from the other focus (see this image). (There are a few other cases that work out nicely, that I just can't remember right now.)


Light Cone
...Actually, maybe they won't be ready for this yet. But I'll mention it--briefly.


...I should take that book out of the library again...
--Charissa


Further reading:
http://fti.neep.wisc.edu/~jfs/neep602.lecture8.trajectories.97/neep602.lecture8.trajectories.97.html
"Spacecraft Trajectories"
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Parabola.html
Mathworld: Parabola
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Ellipse.html
Mathworld: Ellipse
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Hyperbola.html
Mathworld: Hyperbola
http://www.practicalphysics.org/go/Experiment_386.html;jsessionid=alZLdQlAHb1
"Drawing" a parabola; teaching aid

No comments: