I practice talking sometimes.

It's a little funny that way: I've worked over the air before, but I have such little confidence in my voice. I stutter. My lips or teeth or jaw have always felt awkward, and I'd even seen a speech therapist when I was young. The braces didn't help, and the full implications of "JAW SURGERY" hit me all at once about a month before it was supposed to happen. I'm also first-generation Canadian, and my parents have never been great with English. I don't know if that's why I took to music and drawing and literature and Math so eagerly.

I've always had a thing for expression, for communication. Anyone who knows me will also know I have a crush on Math for that very reason--among others.

I love that, in Math, any aspect of life or any thought can be modeled using these strange symbols and even stranger rules, both of which can be taught to anyone; ideas can be communicated, proven, or disproven, and even improved upon by any number of people also seeking to find the most perfect expressions.

It's a whole community devoted to perfect universal truths.

... Hehe!

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Boobfest and Private

Boobfest III

"What are you doing?"
"Curve-sketching."
"Are those breasts?"
"Your point?"
I've been working on the "Boobfest" series off-and-on; and I'm not yet accustomed to uploading my artwork to this blag yet. So I'll just take a moment here to mention that I've finished Boobfest III.

It's pictured to your right, and if you have a dA account, you may also view it here. It's oil pastel on yellow construction paper.

I'm pretty proud of how it turned out!


Boobfest #1Why "Boobfest"?

Well, one night, I made this sketch (pictured to your left; and again, if you have a dA, you can also view it here).

I think I did it mostly for the sake of drawing the naked female form, and then coloured it mostly for practice with oil pastels--the point being that this was an entirely gratuitous and un-planned picture. It's also of terribly low calibre.

Boobfest IIA while later, I decided I wanted to do another study of the nude female figure (which isn't unusual for me) but I wanted something of better quality.

One of my artist friends had recently shown me a piece she did in oil pastels on construction paper, and I was eager to try that out for myself. I put more planning into this one (pose, composition, colour) and this was the result, pictured on your right.

Now, I had no idea what to call this, but I was reminded of the "boobfest" sketch from earlier, and could not be inspired to think of a new name, so I called it "Boobfest II". Again, if you have a dA, you may also view it here.

In short: laziness is the reason I'm calling this the "Boobfest Series". I've actually got number IV sketched, but it isn't a nude piece; so I may re-name the series when I've finished that one. I guess I also like the way it's silly.

Whee!



Last night, I got enrolled into the Canadian Forces as a Signal Operator.

I am now a Private (Recruit)! Arr! I mean, YES SIR!

I almost forgot that part of joining the Militia means taking orders and that whole "superiors" thing. I'm not sure how I managed to almost forget that. I wonder, though, if I'm more enthusiastic than I should be? If I'm forgetting that I'll be an inferior, then maybe I've got the wrong ideas. Maybe.


Why I'm in the Military
  • I need more structure--especially since I'm not attending school regularly right now.

  • I need to be learning things--especially since I'm not in school right now.

  • I want and need more discipline.
    In this specific case, I'd consider "discipline" to be "being able to do well the things I don't necessarily want to do well".

  • I need to find out who I am.
    I have a basic idea; but, I feel that if I'm not challenged, I won't know more fully.

  • I want more personal strength.
    My best friend has told me that I'm "hardy", which means: if he were to stick me in a large pit of destruction, I would survive; last a longer time than most people; something like that. And, I feel that one of my "callings" is to be a hardy person; as hardy as I can be.

  • I need to get out of this house.
    I live with my parents, but it's too sheltered, and I'm not independent of them when it comes to soft things. I still ask my mom what pants I should wear; if my father says something carelessly, I might be greatly upset by it; if I'm going to be home late, I worry that my folks are worrying.

    I feel that physical distance would be the best cure for this.

  • I want more training (which would be the combination of education and practice).
Those are the important ones--to me, at least. Less important would be:
  • I could use the work-out.
  • Communications involves Math (and we all know I wuvs Math!).
  • I get to play with impressive and nifty machinery!
  • Army buddies! Also: lesbians!
  • Doing important things both locally (Canada) and internationally!


I think that's all from me tonight. I'm trying to get into a better habit of blogging; but I also want to get into a better sleeping routine. Right now it's more "go to sleep whenever-the-hell I feel" and "wake up before 13:00", which isn't very disciplined.

So, I'm off for tonight. I've spent just over 24 hours as a Private, and I've gotta say, it doesn't feel much different yet. I guess it's like turning eighteen, and you're suddenly considered an adult; but nothing feels different yet. So I'll grow into a Private the way I'm (hopefully) growing into an adult.

Speaking of which: I've been scheduled to get my army gear on October 24th, which is just five days before my birthday! So it'll be like a great-big birthday present! Hopefully!

--Charissa
Posted by Picasa

No comments: