I practice talking sometimes.

It's a little funny that way: I've worked over the air before, but I have such little confidence in my voice. I stutter. My lips or teeth or jaw have always felt awkward, and I'd even seen a speech therapist when I was young. The braces didn't help, and the full implications of "JAW SURGERY" hit me all at once about a month before it was supposed to happen. I'm also first-generation Canadian, and my parents have never been great with English. I don't know if that's why I took to music and drawing and literature and Math so eagerly.

I've always had a thing for expression, for communication. Anyone who knows me will also know I have a crush on Math for that very reason--among others.

I love that, in Math, any aspect of life or any thought can be modeled using these strange symbols and even stranger rules, both of which can be taught to anyone; ideas can be communicated, proven, or disproven, and even improved upon by any number of people also seeking to find the most perfect expressions.

It's a whole community devoted to perfect universal truths.

... Hehe!

Friday, October 19, 2007

Gnomes!

There exists love!

I'm not sure why, but I felt inspired to do this again. "There exists love" was my gnome last year, and it suddenly felt appropriate all over again! As I waited in a bus shack tonight, I wrote that in the dust on the panes. And then I wrote "there exists truth", "there exists beauty", "there does not exist silence in bus".


Also--Chinese people are hilarious--there's a Chinese saying that goes something like this:

"I can't poo, the ground is too hard."

Translation: People can think up the strangest excuses to avoid work. Also: Chinese people are hilarious!


And if you are Chinese, you should try this at least once with your White friends:

Hover around an intensely shallow conversation, and when the chatter allows, step in wisely and speak thus, slowly and with a heavy Chinese accent, and maybe punctuating with deliberate gesticulation:

"Ancient Chinese wisdom: Man with one chopstick goes hungry."

And then leave.


Ironic Phrases I've collected over the years
- I hear he's a real gossip!
- None of us like to generalize.
- I hate intolerance!
- You're not very suggestible, are you?
- You're making assumptions!
- Everyone's a pessimist!
- It's good to have standards!
- I bet you're prejudiced!

- You need to be more open-minded!


Reading/sleeping time!
--Charissa

No comments: