I practice talking sometimes.

It's a little funny that way: I've worked over the air before, but I have such little confidence in my voice. I stutter. My lips or teeth or jaw have always felt awkward, and I'd even seen a speech therapist when I was young. The braces didn't help, and the full implications of "JAW SURGERY" hit me all at once about a month before it was supposed to happen. I'm also first-generation Canadian, and my parents have never been great with English. I don't know if that's why I took to music and drawing and literature and Math so eagerly.

I've always had a thing for expression, for communication. Anyone who knows me will also know I have a crush on Math for that very reason--among others.

I love that, in Math, any aspect of life or any thought can be modeled using these strange symbols and even stranger rules, both of which can be taught to anyone; ideas can be communicated, proven, or disproven, and even improved upon by any number of people also seeking to find the most perfect expressions.

It's a whole community devoted to perfect universal truths.

... Hehe!

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Arrrrmy

Fitness test went well yesterday. I just want to make a list of reminders for next year:

  • bring a lock
  • bring change of clothes
  • bring an extra bra
  • there are showers we can use
  • wear blue
  • bring a headband (or stop sweating so much)
  • don't drink booze the night before
  • sleep well the night before
  • limit caffeine intake that morning
  • sign in at the Armoury before heading to the Base

I passed, barely. First was the run / beep test. I needed a minimum of level four; made it up to four and a half, but that had me so beat. After a cool-down, during which I scared the staff because my pulse hadn't come down (my rest HR was 88 that morning!), but it turned out fine. ... I'm pretty sure I could have done better if my heart rate wasn't so high (ie: if I weren't still asleep but running on adrenaline and caffeine).

Next was a grip test, and I passed that, too. After that was a push-ups test, which was the biggest threat to my passing. I managed to meet the minimum, but only because the coach/examiner let me get away with push-ups that weren't quite up to standard (ie: I need to go lower). Finally, there was the sit-ups test, which I passed quite easily (no surprise).

My Results:

Resting Pulse (bpm) 088
Resting Pressure Systolic: 112 Dyastolic: 062
20 MSR

Last Stage Completed 4.5

Minimum: 4

Predicted VO2: 34.2
Muscular Strength
Right Hand
36 34
Left Hand
36 34

Total: 72

MPFS: 50
Muscular Endurance
Push-Ups
9 MPFS: 9
Sit-Ups
30 MPFS: 15



Statistics Canada

When I got home, I found that Statistics Canada had called and left a message, so I called them back. Turned out, they were having entrance exams again that night, so I went.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize I was still expected to go to work at the Reserves that night! And I had no idea the procedure for calling in to let them know I wouldn't come! So, of course, I got a (short, thankfully) lecture on that today--but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I wrote the StatsCan entrance exam and they called later to inform me I'd passed (wasn't worried for a moment). I have a job interview on Thursday at 13:00.


I got my army gear today!!!

That was all kinds of exciting! I'm worried, though; because there was no sign-in sheet for me... It's not so much that I care about getting paid, but I don't want to muddle up their paperwork/system/etc. ...I'm a little worried...

I got quite a scare when the phone rang at 08:05, and it turned out to be someone from the Armoury. She said she'd gotten the appointment wrong, and that it was actually at 09:00 instead of 10:00. I told her my bus was leaving in three minutes, and I'd arrive at the Armoury at 09:15. She said that wouldn't be sufficient; but she'd call the Clothing Store to double-check. I was so worried that I'd miss the bus; but she called back immediately and my appointment was actually 10:00.

We went out to the Base (the difference between a Base and Armoury is mostly this: A base is an area and many buildings, where an Armoury is one building for a few units) where the Clothing Store was.

I rode in a truck (of some kind) with my "boss", MCpl E--. She spoke very sternly to me, and explained, "When you join the army, you're a Private, and right now, you are the lowest of the low--yeah, you're actually the lowest one in the Armour right now. Everyone who is higher than you--that's everyone--you have to treat with respect. I'm not your friend, I'm not your buddy, I'm your boss. [The recruiter] isn't your friend either. She's friendly, because she recruited you; she's got to reel you in, you know what I'm saying?"

This, I find a little strange--not her personally, but the... "unfriendliness" aspect. I can only make friends with those in my rank--three other Untrained Privates--apparently.

Aside: I'm reminded of my first day, when there was mostly lounging around and no real work for me. I went with the rest of the Unit to the Junior Mess, and someone called one of the girls I was with "a bitch" in a sort of joking manner (why are soldiers so profane?); and I said back, in "a sort of joking manner", "Y'know, if she were a guy, you wouldn't have called her a bitch; you wouldn't even call her a bastard or anything else, because there's no male equivalent of bitch in that sense; and you only call her that because of the availability of the word. Like, I couldn't call you a bitch. 'You are a bitch!' See, it doesn't work!"

Of course, everyone laughed and some people even looked strangely at me, as though wondering where that all came from, or how dare I, or something like; but I'm wondering now if I was actually out of line. It was pretty casual, though... But I'll try to be more mindful of ranks from now on.

Of course I knew this in the back of my mind, but it's much more vivid when getting the talk in that tone of voice like you've done something wrong--which, I had, since I didn't inform anyone that I wouldn't show up to work yesterday. She said that I and the three other Untrained Privates would be getting "shit work" to do--and that, since she's in charge of us four, she'll make sure we get "shit work", because she has an Education degree, civi-side, and she knows what's she's doing, and this is how it works. ... Sobering.

Getting my gear took about an hour and 45 minutes, and it was all kinds of exciting! MCpl. E-- spoke in a completely different tone to the Supply Clerk we met up with at the Clothing Store, and I got a taste of this inter-rank thingummy; though the Clerk was friendly and professional with me (I wonder how much of that was in her job, too).

I filled a large bin with gear (the SC said to try to keep track of what she gave me, because I'd have to sign for everything, and if for some reason, she forgot to give me something, and I'd signed for it, the onus was on me); tried on different sizes of uniforms and equipment (OMG I am so excited about the boots, you have no idea!); and when that was all done, I was given three garbage bags to carry it all.

Naturally, there were some items that would've been stupid to put into the garbage bag--namely, this large bag (hockey bag size) into which we'd already stuffed a lot of gear; the box containing my boots; the sleeping bag; etc.

I hope I--well, not "impressed", but--showed MCpl E-- that I wasn't inefficient or stupid or unfit; and I hope-hope that she saw I'd be a good soldier. While putting my gear into the bags, I was thinking what should go where; how heavy it would be; where the bag it should go to minimize protrusions and rips... I may have goofed it in the end, though; because at the bottom of the bin (which was about four and a half feet tall) were some smaller items that I could not reach with my arm; so I first tried standing/leaning on one leg, and when I saw that wouldn't work, I gave a sort of goofy and embarrassed smile to anyone who might be looking. And then I tilted the bin and got my stuff in the smart way.


I'm sort of that way, now. I smile a lot, I'm...friendly, not an intimidating soldier--ARRR! I smile a lot. When someone is speaking--about anything, almost!--I smile to acknowledge my understanding. I think I should try to nod instead; or blink decidedly; or, I dunno, something. Maybe smiling is unprofessional?


And then, I waited for Mark and Evan to pick me and my gear up. After all the packing, I had: three full garbage bags, a large green carry-bag, a small/medium green carry-bag, my backpack and my jacket. I definitely would not have been allowed to take these on a bus!


And now, I'm tired and my hands are cold and I'm still sore from the fitness test yesterday. I should buy some bananas and find a work-out buddy.

In the meanwhile, I'm going to have Mom's beef soup and play Grim Fandango.
--Charissa!

No comments: