I practice talking sometimes.

It's a little funny that way: I've worked over the air before, but I have such little confidence in my voice. I stutter. My lips or teeth or jaw have always felt awkward, and I'd even seen a speech therapist when I was young. The braces didn't help, and the full implications of "JAW SURGERY" hit me all at once about a month before it was supposed to happen. I'm also first-generation Canadian, and my parents have never been great with English. I don't know if that's why I took to music and drawing and literature and Math so eagerly.

I've always had a thing for expression, for communication. Anyone who knows me will also know I have a crush on Math for that very reason--among others.

I love that, in Math, any aspect of life or any thought can be modeled using these strange symbols and even stranger rules, both of which can be taught to anyone; ideas can be communicated, proven, or disproven, and even improved upon by any number of people also seeking to find the most perfect expressions.

It's a whole community devoted to perfect universal truths.

... Hehe!

Monday, February 18, 2008

047:

I went to Perkins with Mark again, and used the ladies' room while I was waiting. A girl came in. She looked at me, exited, and came back a few seconds later. That was hilarious.
Legfest?
Legfest II
So, by now, everyone knows I have Boobfest, which is a collection of drawings of the naked female figure, more specifically, the upper body.

I also want to study legs and hips, because I've never been able to represent poses properly--they always seem off, somehow. So I decided I'd study legs next.


Highschool Art

Back in highschool, we studied the human figure, too. More specifically, hands and feet. Here are a few of my studies:

Man, I wish I had abs like that again!



Army

I've been calling in sick for Army, so there's not much else to cover; except that my BMQ/SQ will be from the end of April to the end of June. Woo.


Teaching

I got to fill in for the Calc teacher on 02-Feb and 09-Feb. I guess I forgot to write about it.

02 Feb
This was a disaster. Alan didn't leave any materials and didn't even e-mail me the topics he wanted covered! I was a nervous wreck. And, of course, the principal came in and started correcting my technique and--horrible mess!

09 Feb
This was much better. I realized that even though it's a terribly small class (ten or eleven), the kids don't talk to eachother, they don't know eachother. I opened with a silly ice-breaker game involving throwing things.

Walked them through a related rates problem.

Then I ranted about Math, which I'm good at doing!

Talked about proofs and what they are; did a very quick walk through Relativity (assume that the speed of light is always constant; can mathematically prove time/space distortion near the speed of light!); One Million Beans problem and proof; introduced the (extended) Monty Hall Problem... Just a nice glance at how awesome Math is--although I probably should have included Maxwell's Equations in there... Dang it!

I mean--how awesome is that! This guy just played around with equations, realized he needed two constants so used Epsilon-nought and Mu-nought; and when finally needed to figure out their values so he could find the speed of electric waves and magnetic waves--he gets the friggin' SPEED OF LIGHT. (Further reading)


Sleeeeepy time.
--Charissa

No comments: