I practice talking sometimes.

It's a little funny that way: I've worked over the air before, but I have such little confidence in my voice. I stutter. My lips or teeth or jaw have always felt awkward, and I'd even seen a speech therapist when I was young. The braces didn't help, and the full implications of "JAW SURGERY" hit me all at once about a month before it was supposed to happen. I'm also first-generation Canadian, and my parents have never been great with English. I don't know if that's why I took to music and drawing and literature and Math so eagerly.

I've always had a thing for expression, for communication. Anyone who knows me will also know I have a crush on Math for that very reason--among others.

I love that, in Math, any aspect of life or any thought can be modeled using these strange symbols and even stranger rules, both of which can be taught to anyone; ideas can be communicated, proven, or disproven, and even improved upon by any number of people also seeking to find the most perfect expressions.

It's a whole community devoted to perfect universal truths.

... Hehe!

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Games and Kevin

Went to Kevin's place last night.

Man, I'm kinda glad his brothers were home; that might've been the only thing keeping me from jumping him. I've been pretty libidinous lately.

Turns out, Kevin used to be a competitive long-distance runner, when he was around 11 years old. He's won medals; his athleticism is still noticeable on his body. It's also partly due to doctors thinking he had a disorder where he couldn't process wheat gluten or something, so he didn't eat much.

My co-worker, Leah, says that my chemistry with James means only that we'd have healthy children together. It does not indicate an emotional, spiritual or any other non-physical compatibility. I think this might also extend to Kevin. We've got that body chemistry going on, I think (maybe; it's too soon to tell anything yet). He has a similar body type.

We played word games, mostly; started off with that insult game Neek invented.


"Insult Game"

Setup

Paper; writing utensils.
Two-player game; difficult to adapt beyond two players.


A box is drawn on a paper. First player writes a statement that is insulting to Second player. The paper is then passed to Second player, who must defend hir dignity or turn the statement around to insult First player. Players may read aloud the entire statement after each revision.

Rules:

  1. No more than 3 words may be crossed out on any turn.
  2. Anything added in the immediately preceding turn may not be touched. E xceptions: on the second turn; however, any names must be left the same.
  3. No writing may overlap.
  4. No writing may cross the border.
  5. The statement must be only one sentence; players may not end the sentence prior to the game ending; punctuation and conjunctions may be used without limit.
  6. The game ends when either:
    1. the player being insulted is no longer offended; this may be called only before that player's turn; or
    2. the remaining space is declared insufficient to continue.
    At this point, the last player will end the entire statement with a single period.
We had two rounds of this and got fed up, so switched to a game called "Ghost":


Ghost

Setup:

Paper, writing utensils, dictionary (Internet is best).
Two-player game; may be adapted for more than two, though smaller games are best.


Players take turns adding letters to form a real word.

Rules:
  1. Words must be a minimum of four letters long.
  2. No proper nouns.
  3. English only; may include anglicized words, depending on a vote by the players.
  4. The player who finishes a word loses and receives a "point". The player with the least amount of points at the end is declared the winner.
  5. If a player adds a letter, and the other players:
    1. do not know of any word beginning with those letter combinations; or
    2. believe that player has added an invalid letter (ie: either the player does not know any words beginning thus; or there is no such word beginning thus);
    that player may be challenged. A dictionary is consulted. If such a word exists, the other players each receive one point. If no such word exists, that player receives one point for each other player.
I spelled "antediluvian" wrong, but nobody knew the word, so we all forfeited the round.

Then Kevin's brother proceeded to read our fortunes using "MASH". I seriously cannot believe there's a Wikipedia article on this.


Afterward, Kevin walked me to the bus stop. He mentioned how he had run after a bus earlier today, but when he had seen it go by, he shouted, "Fuck me!" in a British accent. Awww, he's adorable!

--Charissa

No comments: